February 26, 2015

Sew: Merchant and Mills Camber Set Dress in Printed Cotton Sateen


 

First up, two blog posts in one week after months of low activity!! I might disappear again soon as we're almost finished with the reno. Can I get a yippee?! It will then be a few months of internal painting, carpet installation, floor sanding and polishing and moving furniture around. Once that's all done, I'll be able to set up the rooms and most importantly establish my new sewing room!

Now, focus on my not-so-new dress! I made this dress way back at Sewjourn in December. It was a case of pattern to stash fabric accidental pairing that worked out perfectly. I bought this fabric years ago at Spotlight to make a pair of Colette Clover pants. Soon after that I gave up on the Clover pattern completely and the fabric sat unused. I wasn't really keen on it. Then one day in preparation for Sewjourn I was on a cutting out frenzy and I spied this fabric. I had nothing to lose if it didn't work, so I happily cut in to it using my Camber pattern. Happy accident!

After the first two wears, I decided it was too wide in the shoulders and too big throughout the body. I was tempted to give it to Savers but I decided to unpick the sleeves to allow me to remove the extra width from the shoulders and take the side seams in another 2cm through the bust and waist. I kept the hem as is so this dress is a little more A-line than my previous versions. Project saved!

Project Details
Pattern: Merchant and Mills Camber Set Dress, size 16
Fabric: Printed cotton sateen from Spotlight
Alterations: 3 cm side seams, lowered bust dart apex by 2.5 cm, removed 1 cm from shoulder
See Also: Sew Brunswick #1 | Sew Brunswick #2 | Little Betty Sews | Make Something | Boo Dogg and Me


Mr N is improving in his blog photography and as he gets taller, the photos straighten out. The last photo shows our new house colour! If you follow me on Instagram you will know that I debated on the house colour for some time. I'd decided on a dark green/grey but at the last minute, the architects changed their mind and suggested we change to the lighter colour that the majority of Instagram voted on. I took their advice and was shocked when it was actually painted. It was so bright! It is growing on me now and I really love the tone of it. It will look amazing when my garden is back and growing against it and when the fencing and scaffolding comes down. 

So what do you think of my crazy print sateen dress? And, are you a fan of grey houses? I absolutely love them. 

L x

8 comments:

  1. I love the dress. I'm so pleased you took the time to make the alterations. House is looking good. Excitement levels must be high!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really gorgeous dress, Leith, and a beautiful pairing! Time I pulled the Camber out again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your dress! Especially the fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you saved that dress with your alterations. It's very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this style on you! Beautiful dress x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that crazy print! And I like the more a-line shape, too. Good save!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great save - it has ended up looking terrific on you :).

    My neighbors recently painted their newly renovated house a grey-white, and while it was in progress I didn't think I'd like it - but I love it; light greys / grey-white tones look so modern :). I'm currently trying to decide what color we should repaint our house so will look forward to seeing more (inspirational) pics of yours I hope!

    ReplyDelete

 
Sew Brunswick © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat